Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Patriotism

Is singing the national anthem, before a show starts in a cinema, really shows the spirit of patriotism?

I doubt it. I personally do not think that by singing National Anthem, hanging the national flag and buying the national car are consider as the act of patriotism. Patriotism requires more than that. Patriotism flows from the heart of a citizen. It grew from the seed of respecting and the love for one's homeland. These can never derive from mere singing the national anthem.

Many would say that, if you never been in a war, you would not love your homeland as much. But I disagree. I belive it is how a government runs in one's homeland that spark the spirit of patriotism. Peoples are naturally selfish. You love your homeland, but would you stay in a country full of corruption and unstable government? The answer is still no, right?

Lets face it. Patriotism, is not as simple as what we think.

I have a dream...

I have a dream that malays, chinese and indians will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that one day all Malaysians will truely be united as one.

I have a dream that all Malaysians will one day live in a nation where the government is truely from the people, by the people and for the people.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Malaysians are created equal."

I have a dream...

I love Malaysia.

1 comment:

Dragon City said...

"I have a dream that one day all Malaysians will truely be united as one." ...

Its not going to happen...did u ever see human live together with pig ??