Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My papercraft hobby

I like to DIY stuff. Since I was a little kid, like to make my own toys. Especially after watching movies like Ghost busters, Mcgyver, Mission Impossible (The TV series), I used to think that I am Mcgyver. My dream tool at that time was to own a Swiss Army multipurpose pocket knife, the one just like Mcgyver's.

During my teen, when I have money, I would spend it on buying model kit. Robots, Space shuttle, Battleships, Jet planes and Sail boat, I used to play with those model kits once in my teens. But none of them survive until now. Most of them were distroy while in the making, and some destroyed after completed. It never became a hobby of mine, and I never did actually appreciate the fun making such models. It was just for fun, for that short while.

At one point of time, I was trying to play with electronic component, builiding my own alarm system, disassemble my radio contorl car to fit into other gadget so that I can control it, at that point of time, I could have become an inventor, or even Electronic engineer. But I didn't.

There were too much of "I could have", and too much of "I shoul have"..... The reason was, I was impatient. I wasn't even sure of what my intention was then, except plain naive.

Until recently, instead of playing with expensive model kits, I found another alternative that is equally challenging and enjoyable. It is the papercraft, or some people call it paper model. Only this time, I have more patient.:P

Papercraft template can be downloaded from the internet for free, well, some of them are free. And unlike plastic model kit, for papercraft, you need to have a good knife and scissor, white glue (not too watery type) and good color printer. And the fun starts even when searching for a nice template. You can find so many interesting template online. Like me, I have downloaded so many templates, and they are all in "my documents" waiting for me to transform them from few pieces of paper to a real model. Believe me, it is a lot of fun.

I have been working on some papercraf model since 2006. But it is until now that I dare to try some higher difficulty model. I am still very new in this area, but I hope this will become my hobby and hopefully one day I will be able to design my own papercraft.

Here are some of my recent accomplishments. :)


R2-D2 (Completed in 1 weekends, Difficulty- easy)


Lens Head Type-B (Completed in about 4 weekends, Difficulty- moderate)
Posted by Picasa


Did I mentioned that the Lens head got moving parts too??

1 comment:

story cat said...

You took many photos but only posted one?! Should post more....